This is my journey from being a call getter to the time when I leave for Indore for my admission to the IIM. It was a rollercoaster ride and surely as fun, scary, hilarious and a great teacher.

Thursday, March 16, 2006

C flies right out of the window!!!

If you want to know how NOT to have an interview you may kindly read the next few paragraphs and to think I missed Holi for this (Sheessh)

I had my GDPI on the 16th March at Dadar Mumbai…9 Am Batch

The group had one student absent and we started off at 9.05 with the topic being “Imagine No Religion”

Hmm…. I wrote a few points and was armed with a good beginning …..as soon as the indication came for the start of the GD… A guy sitting opposite me made the beginning by explaining the topic word by word… which I thought was pretty normal… Next was me and I explained the meaning of the topic and how religion is not always about GOD but even music, sports can be a religion..
The GD went on for 13 – 14 minutes and was quite good with each of us being asked in random order to summarize….

My number was effectively 8th and I had a wait of 2.5 Hours outside..(Imagine having to wait two and a half hours to get butchered)



Black font is me

And is red them (for danger you see)


I went into the Room and was greeted by pleasantries..

Okies Pranav Temme abt yourself:

Well blah blah blah but somewhere popped the words./.. I AM A CITIZEN OF INDIA!!!! And I wished I cud go and collect those 6 words back before it hit the ears of the panelists but alas that was not to happen….
They told me after my introduction… So Pranav do u have to be a citizen of India to study at the IIMs..
No Sir. ..
I have not heard that statement in 18 years of doing this…
Where did u do your BMS from
Sir SIES college Sion…
Okies What is the state of Mumbai University today when compared to other similar universities..
Gave gyaan on new courses, recent grant from FM, syllabus updation…
But then isn’t there a large focus on coaching classes and you yourself are part of one

Yes sir the point is that faculty are not paid enough and students don’t want to go to class in college so it becomes a big circle with all benefit from the classes scenario….


Okies so temme you passed out of TYBMS yourself what makes u think u can run classes?

Sir, ..and all the stuff abt my company and the way I set it up…

Hmm… Now Pranav tell me one thing.. try and explain this to me… why are your marks so low in the 12th standard.. (that is the weakest part of me)

Sir..sir..I didn’t like the Physics, chemistry and maths….
But I can see that your marks in economics are also pretty low..
Yes sir but since then I have caught up on it…
SO you will answer whatever I ask you about economics
Yes SIR (confidence was of prime importance here)
He asked me around 8 – 10 questions on economics which I could answer well. Except a couple . One on inferior goods and the other on monopsy..or sumthin..


Then the other guy asks me.. Pranav have you heard about NPV or IRR… Yes Sir I explained both concepts to him very well. Satisfied…

The faculty who asked me about economics now turns to MATTHS ( the only thing I don’t know)
What is y = a + bX
Sir it’s a straight line

Okie plot

Plotted (but made mistake in not joining line to y axis)
Where is A in this..
Didn’t strike me but after sometime realized the mistake and correctly joined the line to Y axis and marked A at the point of intersection..

PRANAV do you know that maths is a compulsory course at C and you will have to clear that paper or we send you back home…
I realized he is stressing me here so I looked straight in his eye and told him.. SIR I promise to learn my maths before I come to C
But its not that easy
SIR I will ensure I know my maths before I walk into campus…
Ok Pranav then differentiate this y = a + bX for me..
Did it after some thought ( he thought I fluked it)
Okie last question..
Differentiate this for me and gave a linear equation in 3rd power .. I did it comfortably…


Hmm so this u do mechanically but the easy one you took time.. I smiled..

How many calls do you have
Sir 5
Except
Sir B
Okie go (I hope some other IIM takes u cause you aint coming to C for sure)




Now I think this was the exact opposite of what it should have been like and I know I have screwed it so C and JOKA are out for me..

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home